This has been and probably always will be one of the hardest things to do: not buying any makeup for a while. I’m writing this because I’m trying to not buy any makeup for a month and I thought it was a good idea to share my tips.
The last couple of months I have been buying a lot of makeup, so often that I don’t think there have been longer than 2 weeks between new products. Which means I bought new products more than 2 times a month. Mostly not 1 product at a time but at least 2 or more products. That’s quite a lot isn’t it? I know. It’s not really normal, it’s more like an addiction. Every time I bought new products I already wanted more. As a makeup lover, you might get this, because there are so many launches of new products and everything looks nice and you want to try everything.
I bought a lot of new makeup in NYC because I saved for it and most of the products aren’t easy to get for me so I allowed myself to get everything I wanted. At the same time, my 2 Kylie Cosmetics orders came in and I bought another highlighter because there was a sale. At that moment, even me was overwhelmed with all the products I got which made me realize I just wanted to enjoy the new products I got. So I made a rule for myself: I’m not buying any makeup this month. I started May 28 and by the time you’ll read this, I passed my 4 weeks of not buying any makeup. I’m writing this a week ahead so I’m in my third week of not buying any makeup.
To be honest, I’m kinda proud of myself. Because in the meantime, there have been a lot of products released which I really want to have but I didn’t buy them. How did I do this? I’m going to share my tips:
- First of all, every time a product gets announced or released I ask myself the question ‘Do I really need this?’ Most of the time the answer is no. I already own a bunch of lipsticks, eyeshadow palettes, highlighters, blushes etc. and I didn’t run out of any products yet which I have to replace, so no I don’t need any new products.
- I made a wishlist with the products I really want to buy in the future. I did this so I could oversee all the products I wanted and see how much these products would cost me if I would buy them. It made me realize to save money so if I want to buy something from the list, I worked and saved for it. This wishlist is also good for more space in my head. I could think of all the products I wanted for hours and it could make me a little bit restless. But now it’s on paper I don’t have to think about it anymore.
- I started to read about minimalism. This kind of lifestyle really inspires me and I really want to end up being a minimalist in the future. I will always have too much makeup because it’s my passion and what I love most, but because of minimalism, I want to have a different thinking pattern which encourages me to only buy things I really really really love.
- Enjoying the products I already have. I mean, I have so many amazing products and of course, I enjoyed them but I wasn’t really living in the moment. I was already thinking about new products. Right now, I’m just enjoying the products I already have and I’m not thinking about new stuff. What I said before, I have more space in my head.
- I unsubscribed from email lists. I was subscribed to almost every brand out there which emailed me so much that I could only think about new products. That’s why I unsubscribed. And it’s so nice not feeling restless! Oh, and not having 100 of emails to check everyday.
This month of not buying makeup was just a challenge for me to finally change my way of thinking and I think it really helped me to realize that enough is enough. I’m not giving this way of thinking up because the month is over. I know I’ll end up buying new makeup, but only if I really love it or really need it. The way of thinking changed from ‘I need everything, right now!’ to ‘I only buy products if I really need it, really love it and if I saved money for it.’
The only thing I find difficult about not buying new makeup is when brands say it’s limited edition. I really don’t want to miss out on good products. This is something I want to work on and hopefully not being so tempted to buy products in the future when they’re limited edition. You always have to have something to work on right?
Do you recognize my feeling? How much makeup do you buy every month? Let me know in the comments!
See you next time loves,