It’s not easy for everyone to drink enough water however, it’s really important to drink enough. I’m also someone who isn’t a star in drinking enough water. Recently, I have been trying to drink more than normal and drink at least 1 liter per day. This is already a huge improvement for me and I hope I can build it up to at least 1,5 to 2 liter per day. I thought it might be helpful to share my tips to help people out who struggle with drinking enough. Here are my 8 ways to drink more water.
Let’s first talk about why it’s important to drink enough water. Drinking water has a lot of benefits and I want to sum up some of them to let you understand the importance.
1. Increases Energy & Relieves Fatigue
Since your brain is mostly water, drinking it helps you think, focus and concentrate better and be more alert. As an added bonus, your energy levels are also boosted!
2. Promotes Weight Loss
Removes by-products of fat, reduces eating intake (by filling up your tummy if consumed prior to meals), reduces hunger (hello natural appetite suppressant!), raises your metabolism and has zero calories!
3. Flushes Out Toxins
Gets rid of waste through sweat and urination which reduces the risk of kidney stones and UTI’s (urinary tract infections).
4. Improves Skin Complexion
Moisturizes your skin, keeps it fresh, soft, glowing and smooth. Gets rid of wrinkles. It’s the best anti-aging treatment around!
5. Maintains Regularity
Aids in digestion as water is essential to digest your food and prevents constipation.
6. Boosts Immune System
A water guzzler is less likely to get sick. And who wouldn’t rather feel healthy the majority of the time? Drinking plenty of water helps fight against flu, cancer and other ailments like heart attacks.
7. Natural Headache Remedy
Helps relieve and prevent headaches (migraines & back pains too!) which are commonly caused by dehydration.
8. Prevents Cramps & Sprains
Proper hydration helps keep joints lubricated and muscles more elastic so joint pain is less likely.
9. Puts You In A Good Mood
When the body is functioning at its best, you will feel great and be happy!
10. Save Money!
Water is FREE! Even if you choose bottled/filtered water, it’s STILL cheaper than that high sugar and fat-filled latte!
I found these 10 benefits on MindBodyGreen.
These 10 tips are just a start because if you Google around, you’ll find even more reasons why drinking is so important for our body and health. However, I think these 10 tips already show the importance. The reason why I started drinking more is that I had a lot of headaches. First of all, I’ve never been a good drinker. If I wasn’t thirsty I just didn’t drink. But that could easily be a huge part of the day and most of the time, when I started to get a headache I remembered that I didn’t drink enough. To prevent the headaches and to help my body, skin, and health in general, I thought it was time to drink more. I had to change my bad habits into good habits and I discovered some ways to help me drink more. I hope these tips can help you with drinking more/enough as well.
How do you know how much you should drink?
This is different for every person and depends on your weight, gender, age etc. So here’s a calculator to find out how much you should drink: https://www.camelbak.com/en/hydrated/hydration-calculator.
8 ways to drink more water
- Drink a cup of water right after you wake up because you want to hydrate your body after a whole night of sleep. Make sure to put a bottle or glass of water beside your bed so you can see it when you wake up.
- Use a bottle you love so that you wanna take it everywhere with you. For example, I bought a Starbucks bottle (I put water in it instead of coffee) when I was in NYC so I would think of NYC everytime I see the bottle and I love it! Make it feel like an accessory or a memory and you are going to take it everywhere with you.
- Always keep water by your side so that you can see it and easily grab it. It’s easy to sip water throughout the day. You don’t have to drink a lot of water at once but just sip once in a while and this will make you drink more than you would expect.
- Drink a glass of water after using the restroom. You have to see this as a reminder that you just removed water from your body so you need to get yourself new water to stay hydrated. Also, this becomes a good reminder if you teach yourself this habit so you won’t forget it!
- Drink a glass of water before every meal. This also works as a reminder and a habit to not forget drinking. Moreover, sometimes you feel hungry but you’re actually hydrated so drinking water can also help you reduce cravings.
- Track you’re water intake throughout the day with a water tracking app or in your planner. It’s important to track how much water you take so you know exactly if you had enough or not.
- You can set up an alarm every hour. If you really want a reminder you can set up a water alarm every hour to remind you to drink. This is for people who like notifications or who just need that extra help.
- Eat more water-rich food like fruits and vegetables. For example, you can make a delicious smoothie to help you get to your water goal.
These tips work really well with me and I hope they’ll work for you as well. Let me know if you are going to try my tips!
Hope to see you next time loves,