If you buy something through the links, I may earn an affiliate commission (at no cost to you). Read the full disclosure here.
I independently evaluate all recommended products and services. If you buy something through the links on the site, I may earn an affiliate commission (at no cost to you). For more information, read the full disclosure here.
Do you want softer, smoother skin that glows? Who doesn’t? Lavender oil is a century-old remedy for soothing and improving skin texture. But is it worth a try?
Not only is it known for its calming aroma, but this natural oil also provides a wealth of benefits to the skin. In this article, we’ll explore how lavender oil can be effective in helping you achieve brighter and healthier-looking skin!
Get ready to be amazed by the many incredible benefits of lavender oil for the skin. I will uncover everything you need to know about this long-time skincare sweetheart.
What Is Lavender Oil
Lavender is a shrub with pretty purple flowers and an enticing aroma. Lavender oil is obtained through steam distillation of the flowering tops.
It has a highly sought-after fragrance, but it is way more than just a fragrance ingredient! The benefits of lavender oil for the skin are many and impressive.
It is believed to possess a multitude of beneficial properties, including sedative, antidepressant, antimicrobial, antifungal, hypnotic, analgesic, and aphrodisiac qualities (wow, are you counting?).
Dermatologists have explored its potential in treating wounds, eczema, psoriasis, and even stimulating hair growth in alopecia areata.
Additionally, lavender oil plays a significant role in aromatherapy due to its anxiety-relieving properties. Who doesn’t love the extra TLC with their skincare?
Benefits Of Lavender Oil For The Skin
Lavender oil sure is a powerhouse medicinal herb. But what exactly does lavender oil do for our skin?
The remarkable properties of lavender oil have been documented in a variety of studies over the years. I studied the evidence so that you don’t have to.
Here are the incredible benefits of lavender oil for the skin:
Lavender Oil Reduces Stress
Lavender oil has captured hearts worldwide, particularly in aromatherapy and massage. It boasts an array of benefits, including stress and anxiety reduction, mood enhancement, and even pain relief.
Inhaling the soothing scent of lavender oil can transport you to a state of tranquility, easing the burdens of daily life and promoting a sense of calm.
Lavender Oil Is An Anti-Inflammatory Wonder
Science is embracing the anti-inflammatory prowess of lavender oil. It holds the power to alleviate redness, swelling, and irritation.
One study suggests that whether used topically or taken orally, it displays remarkable anti-edematogenic activity, making it an effective ally in reducing inflammation and providing soothing relief to your skin.
Lavender Oil Is An Antiseptic Shield
When it comes to fighting harmful bacteria, lavender oil, especially L. angustifolia, is a real hero. As this review suggests, it has properties that can kill different types of bacteria, even the tough ones like MRSA and Enterococcus, which are resistant to common antibiotics.
This makes lavender oil an excellent choice for preventing infections and treating infections on the skin’s surface. It’s also effective against fungal infections, making it a powerful weapon against fungi.
Lavender Oil Helps Fight Acne
Acne, the bane of many individuals, can meet its match with lavender oil. Its natural antibacterial properties help eliminate acne-causing bacteria while reducing inflammation.
Moreover, lavender oil’s gentle yet effective nature makes it suitable for all skin types, offering a non-aggressive approach to acne management.
Lavender Oil Assists In The Treatment Of Various Skin Conditions
Lavender oil’s therapeutic benefits extend to a multitude of skin conditions, such as eczema and psoriasis. Through its soothing properties, it provides relief from irritation, itching, and discomfort associated with these conditions.
Lavender Oil Promotes Wound And Scar Healing
Discovering yet another fantastic benefit of lavender oil for the skin, it works wonders in healing wounds and reducing scars.
Studies have revealed that applying lavender oil directly to the skin helps produce more collagen, speeds up the formation of new tissue, and assists in remodeling damaged skin.
By boosting the action of an intrinsic factor, lavender oil supports the natural healing process and shows promise as a complementary treatment to conventional methods.
Lavender Oil Boosts Hair Growth
If you dream of luscious locks, lavender oil, in synergy with rosemary oil, cedarwood oil, and thyme oil, may hold the key.
One study demonstrated the effectiveness of this essential oil blend in promoting hair growth. Massaging the mixture into the scalp yielded visible improvements, making lavender oil a natural choice for those struggling with alopecia.
Potential Side Effects When Using Lavender Oil
The most common side effect is irritation or dryness of the skin. This can occur if you have sensitive skin or use too much oil on your face.
Pro tip: It is essential to start with a small amount of oil and gradually increase it until you find the right amount for your skin type.
Another potential side effect of using lavender oil on the face is photosensitivity. Some people may experience increased sensitivity to light after using lavender oil, which can cause redness and burning sensations if left unprotected from sunlight.
Pro tip: To avoid this reaction, always wear sunscreen and limit your exposure to direct sunlight after applying essential oils to your skin.
Finally, some people may experience an allergic reaction when using lavender oil on their face due to its high concentration of active compounds.
If you notice any irritation or itching after applying lavender oil, immediately stop using it and consult a doctor for further advice.
However, according to this review, lavender oil has a long-standing reputation for safety when used topically. While there have been reports that lavender oil can be toxic to human skin cells, actual contact dermatitis from lavender oil is extremely rare.
Does Lavender Oil Clog Pores?
Sure, the benefits of lavender oil for the skin are impressive, but the million-dollar question remains…
Does lavender oil clog pores?
While there is no clear comedogenic rating for essential oils, our pal, lavender oil, is considered non-comedogenic. This means that lavender oil does not clog pores!
It is known to be beneficial for the skin due to its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties. It can help reduce redness and soothe irritated skin, being a balsam for acne-prone skin.
Additionally, when used with other natural ingredients like jojoba oil or almond oil, lavender oil helps increase skin hydration without leaving a greasy residue on the surface that could lead to blocked pores.
How To Use Lavender Oil On Your Skin
Essential oils might seem tricky to use, but there is no reason to feel overwhelmed. Here is a simple step-by-step guide on how to use lavender oil for the skin:
- Cleanse your skin: Before applying lavender oil, ensure your skin is clean and free of makeup or other impurities.
- Dilute the oil: This step is SUPER important. Essential oils are highly concentrated and should never be applied directly to the skin without dilution. Mix a few drops (1-2) of lavender oil with a carrier oil, such as coconut oil, jojoba oil, or sweet almond oil.
Pro tip: You can start with one drop and build up the concentration if your skin can tolerate it.
- Test the oil: Before applying the oil to your face, test it on a small area of your skin to ensure you don’t have an allergic reaction.
- Apply the oil: Using your fingers, gently massage the oil into your skin, being careful to avoid the sensitive skin around your eyes.
- Leave the oil on: Allow the oil to absorb into your skin for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse off: After 20 minutes, rinse off the oil with warm water and pat your skin dry.
Note: Doing a patch test before applying oil to the face is always recommended. Also, it is essential to use pure and high-quality oil or specific skincare products made for the face.
Best Products With Lavender Oil
If you feel uncomfortable using lavender oil directly onto your skin for the first time – I get it. You can always go for the safest option of using a lavender-infused product.
Here are my all-time favorite products containing lavender oil:
- Origins Calm To Your Senses: This collection of lavender-scented skincare products includes a face cream, body lotion, and shower gel, which helps to soothe and relax the mind while hydrating the skin.
- Mario Badescu Aloe, Chamomile & Lavender Facial Spray: Mario Badescu’s facial spray combines aloe, chamomile, and lavender to provide a refreshing and soothing mist for the face. Lavender helps calm and balance the skin, while aloe and chamomile provide hydration and comfort, leaving the skin feeling revitalized and rejuvenated.
- Dermalogica Eucalyptus + Lavender Conditioning Body Wash: This body wash from Dermalogica features a blend of eucalyptus and lavender to cleanse and condition the skin. Lavender contributes its calming and soothing properties, while eucalyptus refreshes and invigorates, leaving the skin clean, soft, and subtly scented.
- Mario Badescu Witch Hazel & Lavender Toner: Mario Badescu’s toner combines the astringent properties of witch hazel with the soothing benefits of lavender. It helps tone and tightens the skin, minimize the appearance of pores, and provide a refreshing sensation. Lavender contributes its calming properties, promoting a balanced complexion.
- Tonymoly I’m Lavender Lullaby Sleeping Mask: The Tonymoly I’m Lavender Lullaby Sleeping Mask is a hydrating overnight mask infused with lavender extract. It helps moisturize and soothe the skin while you sleep, leaving it plump, refreshed, and revitalized in the morning.
- Manucurist Lavender Botanical Cream: The Manucurist Lavender Botanical Cream is a luxurious hand and body cream enriched with lavender extract. It nourishes and hydrates the skin, leaving it soft, supple, and delicately scented with the calming aroma of lavender.
Alternatives To Using Lavender Oil On The Skin
If you happen not to like the unique scent of lavender oil or are looking for an alternative, there are many equally effective natural options. These alternatives include chamomile essential oil, frankincense essential oil, and rose geranium essential oil.
These essential oils help reduce stress, calm your mind and body, improve sleep quality, and more! Combine them with carrier oils, such as almond or jojoba, to make them even gentler on the skin.
What Does Lavender Oil Do For The Skin: A Conclusion
If you are searching for a natural skincare treasure, look no further than lavender oil. The numerous benefits of lavender oil for the skin, along with its delightful fragrance, make it a beloved remedy for improving your complexion and promoting a sense of calm.
From reducing stress and inflammation to fighting acne and assisting in the healing of wounds and scars, lavender oil has proven its remarkable potential.
With its non-comedogenic nature, it won’t clog pores, making it an ideal choice for all skin types. Whether you choose to use lavender oil directly or opt for products infused with its goodness, be prepared to unlock the secrets of this botanical wonder.
What are you waiting for? Experience the transformative power of lavender oil for your skin.
Frequently Asked Questions