If you’re working from home because that’s a possibility in your job or maybe you’re working from home because you’re a freelancer. It doesn’t really matter why you’re working home, but IF you can work productively from home. Creating a home office is a great first step to increase your productivity but how exactly? I’ll explain how you can create the perfect work from home environment.
I mean, working from home is such a blessing to me. My biggest dream is to become a fulltime blogger, working from home and being my own boss.
However, being at home a lot can easily distract you which causes a decrease in your productivity. Even if you work as a freelancer, as well as for a boss, it’s important to get your work done otherwise you might get in trouble. But how can we increase this productivity?
A home office. Yes, this is perfect to increase your productivity. Why you might wonder? Let me explain this further.
Follow me on Pinterest.
How can a home office help you increase your productivity?
You can choose your favorite spot in the house
Working from home gives you the freedom to create the space you need to do the work you need to do. At home, you can control (at least most of) the features of your surroundings, while in an office, you’ve pretty much just got your desk to design.
While some people need some background noise to work, others find any noise at all (a barking dog, playful children) incredibly disturbing. If you feel the same way, choose a room with the least amount of noise.
You decide when and where to have a break
When working at an office, there’s pretty much pre-set up times to have a break (even if there isn’t a rule, I still feel like we all take a break somewhere around 12:00/1:00 pm) and if you’re unlucky and it’s busy, you might not even have a break at all. This isn’t good for your productivity at all.
But working from home gives you the freedom to plan your own break, as many as you need (this doesn’t mean you can have a break all day every day lol) and when you need them. It’s even possible to go outside for a walk or go clean the kitchen, whatever you like to do in your break!
As long as you’re timing your breaks, you’ll be back to work in no time, and your brain will feel a bit more refreshed. Choose an amount of time that works better for your schedule and work habits. Just be careful not to make it so short that it interrupts you when you’re finally in the zone, or so long that it is ineffective.
You can design your home office how you want
Maybe you’re into a very minimal home office design or bright, colorful surroundings. Make sure your home office looks like something that is calming and works for you best. For example, I love a white, airy home office so if I would sit in a room which is super bright pink I would be distracted easily.
Also, make sure your desk is decluttered and organized if you prefer working in an organized room. If you work better when you’re space is more like a mess than make sure you don’t organize and declutter lol.
Just make sure the room and environment suit your wishes!
5 tips to increase your productivity even more
- Bring in some green: A desk or floor plant is a great way to add a breath of fresh air to your workspace and create some visual variety when your eyes need a break from the screen.
- Try a calming scent: For some people soft scents can soothe the usual stress of thought blockages and procrastination, resulting in increased focus.
- Small To-Do List: I’m guilty myself if I make a huge to-do list I get unmotivated and don’t even start. My tip is to spend 10 minutes creating a detailed checklist. Then, spend another five making an even shorter checklist of tasks you absolutely know will get done in the next couple of hours. This will definitely increase your productivity!
- Put your phone on silent: This will prevent you from getting distracted easily. Once you’re distracted it’s so hard to get your focus back!
- Do small exercises: Taking short breaks for exercise can help you shift gears, refocus and reenergize as needed throughout the day. Not to mention- it’s just good for you. Your head and heart will thank you for this one.
Hopefully, this information is going to be super helpful for you. Let me know in the comments what you think!